Covenant Ministerial Association, INC may license or ordain a person as a minister of the Gospel after first examining the applicant’s background, moral and religious character, and what previous courses of study the applicant has received. Final determination shall be within the absolute discretion of the Presiding Bishop and the Executive Board. CMA recognizes the Ascension Gifts of the Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, and Teacher as being relevant and active today in God’s Church. (Eph 4:11) We further recognize that each gift may operate within, but not be limited too, the following credentialed classifications and areas of specialization. There are four levels of credentials with CMA.
- Christian Workers
The Presiding Bishop and Executive Board, at their discretion, may limit any credentialed classification to any area of particular emphasis. The following areas of ministry are (although not intended to be inclusive) recognized by CMA as specialization areas:
- Lay Minister
- Marketplace Ministries
- Youth 12+
- Christian Education
- Ministerial Safety (Security)
- Media & Creative Arts
Authorizations and Responsibilities
All ministers shall submit to the qualifications found in:
1 Timothy 3:1-7
- This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
- A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
- Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
- One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
- (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
- Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- Moreover, he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
“For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate; Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.“
Anointing with Oil: The anointing with oil shall be conducted by anyone holding the classification of eldership in the church. (Credentialed Ministers are considered elders in the Scripture)
Weddings, Funerals, and Baby Dedications: Weddings, Funerals, and Baby Dedications shall be conducted by a credentialed minister holding the level of licensure or above.
Sacraments: All sacraments including but not limited to, the Lord’s Supper, Water Baptism, and Foot-Washing administered corporately shall be conducted under the supervision of an Ordained or Bishop level ministry.
Presbytery: Only Bishop Level ministries shall be considered for the Presbytery.
Applications for credentials shall be on a form provided by CMA. An applicant’s application shall be either approved or denied within thirty (30) days of the completion of the investigation of the applicant. The approved applicants will receive a certificate evidencing their achievement and will be set forth for ministry at their local church or the next International Faith and Leadership Congress.
It is an honor to be a part of the International Faith and Leadership Congress. While it is not our intention to make this process difficult, we do feel a responsibility to our current members to make sure they are well represented. We are believing for ministries of like precious faith who will embrace the vision of CMA and work together to better the Kingdom of God.
Therefore, each applicant will be making themselves accountable to the Godly covering that is being provided here. We have put together a process that will validate the applicant and better acquaint us with the purpose and vision they feel in their heart toward God and the ministry.
The following steps should be completed in their entirety for credentialing consideration in CMA.
The applicant must:
- Read and Agree with the Statement of Faith and Core Values of CMA.
- Read, Agree and Meet the Qualifications for Ministry in CMA.
- For validation, the applicant must provide three references (two ministerial and one business) complete with names, addresses, and phone numbers from someone other than a relative to testify to the applicant’s character and call.
- If the applicant is not in a Pastoral or full-time ministry position, they should complete step three and provide a letter of recommendation from their current Pastor.
- The ministry applicant must be faithful to their local church. Good attendance and consistent tithing to your local storehouse “church” are required for eligibility.
- Complete your Credentialing Application in its entirety
- Embrace the vision of CMA
- All applications need the approval of the Presiding Bishop and Executive Board
- As ministers, we are stewards of the manifold grace of God.
I Corinthians 4:2
“Moreover, it is required in stewards that a man be found faithful.”